For me, motherhood is more of a selective identity. This could be why my sanity is always in question by people who are in positions of authority. I got a call from my son’s teacher last week, asking me to explain the punishment he had gotten for fighting with his sister. According to Mickey, his punishment for this offense was, ‘seeing mommy naked’.
Let me explain; I was readying my underwear for the day’s events and my stance put my son at eye level with my loins. The door flew open and in charged my 8 year old boy. He began his emotionally charged plea recalling all the newest wrongs leveled against him by his sister in an effort to hide his own transgressions. It was close to Christmas and he looked so pitiful. I decided not to punish him in the traditional sense, and said the now infamous words “let’s just say... seeing mommy naked is punishment enough..." Sadly, no matter how I explain this to most people, there’s really no perspective in which I come out looking good; Hence the perpetual questioning by people in positions of authority...and the low body image...
love it!
ReplyDelete